Tuesday, August 30, 2011

apropos

Penny Kittle is a teacher at Kennett High School, and I took one of her seminars last year. I think she is fantastic. I found this question/answer in some of her materials, and it couldn't be more perfect.

Q. How do you work with an administrator who thinks the only important things in writing are grammar, punctuation, and spelling?
A. I remember a middle school principal I had years ago. She was a smart woman, but when I started teaching seventh grade she gave me a grammar textbook as curriculum. I took it home that night and went back the next morning with a sticky note of ques- tions. I asked her, “What’s a gerund and when was the last time you used one? Do you know what an appositive does in a sentence?” She laughed and admitted she had no idea. We then talked about what students at the school needed to learn, and she let me go on with my work. I made a point to show her how I taught and assessed mechanics in class and to show her the progress students were making with the writing workshop approach.

Seemed fairly relevant to my life right now, and it's nice to be reminded that there are so many people out there that "get it."

Today was my first day with the kids in Alton. Overwhelming but great at the same time. My day started with the principal seeking me out, checking in with me, making sure I didn't have any questions or needs, and wishing me a great first day. I told her I wasn't used to that. She smiled and told told me I should get used to it. I think I will :) I also couldn't ask for better teammates who have gone above and beyond to make sure I am on board and not floundering.

Tonight I'm thinking about my former co-workers from Strafford, who I love so much, and hoping that their first day is fantastic tomorrow. I'm sad that I won't be seeing all those familiar faces this year, and returning to all those kids that I love, but I'm excited for new opportunities and experiences at the same time.

I have no closing tonight, so I guess that's all for now! Abrupt, but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment