Thursday, January 3, 2013

Million Dollar Baby

So, I planned to start with "Out of Africa" because that's the first movie that I queued up on Netflix.  However, I found a copy of Million Dollar baby laying around (which definitely isn't mine because it's the Full Screen version.  I don't know why anyone ever would buy full screen movies, and I can't even remember who I'm insulting because I can't remember who I borrowed it from) and decided to watch it. 

I can definitely say that this is one movie I have never been excited to watch. I wasn't that crazy about the idea of the film in general, the fact that it's about boxing, and the fact that the ending was ruined for me long ago, which I HATE.  My dad would say that it doesn't matter if you know the ending, because you don't know the path that will be taken to get there.  However, I think knowing the ending taints your entire experience as a viewer and affects your outlook, impressions, thoughts, and observations along the way - how could it not?  I like to be a blank slate going into a movie.

So, now that I've finally finished watching it, I'll say this: I think I'm supposed to love this movie a lot more than I did. 

SPOILER ALERT - by the way, I think it goes without saying, that I am going to be talking about these movies and probably ruining things for you if you haven't seen them.  So don't read this if you don't want anything ruined.

There are a few things that definitely may have contributed to my lack luster impression, such as the fact that I already knew she died in the end, the fact that I watched it in four separate chunks because I kept falling asleep or having to do other things, and the fact that boxing could be my least favorite sport of all time.  However, I did really love The Fighter, so maybe that's not a valid point. 

I thought Hilary Swank did a great job, but I'm pretty sure Clint Eastwood must play the same character in every movie.  I guess I'm not really in a position to say that, seeing as how my experience with him is fairly limited - ok, extremely limited AKA I've only ever seen him in Gran Torino (which I loved.)  At least I think I've only seen him in these two movies.  I'm not really a Western sort of gal (I'm kind of dreading Unforgiven.)  He's definitely got the grouchy old man who warms up and whose personality comes alive by the end of the movie thing down.

There was just about no shot in the movie that didn't have dark, hard, exaggerated shadows.  Most of the time the characters' faces would be half light and half shadow.  I think my ability to judge the cinematography was definitely inhibited by the piss poor quality of the DVD I watched, which was automatically stretched out and horrible due to its full-screenness.  I will say, that I think Clint Eastwood may be a better director than actor at this point.

I don't really understand how his character got away with what he did at the end.  It seems like someone would have noticed and there would have been some repercussions.

The story was good and definitely affected me emotionally, but man is it depressing.  This really reinforces the fact that being a quadriplegic is just about one of the worst things in the world.  I can't even imagine it.  It's so sad and depressing and tragic.

So anyway, I'm not really a film critic, but those are my initial thoughts.  One best picture winner down, and I can't remember how many more to go...50 something.  Out of Africa came today in the mail, so that's coming up next.   I wonder how long it will take me to do this?  Not long at this rate!


No comments:

Post a Comment