Tuesday, January 1, 2013

You won't believe it, Dad.....

-->
But I'm doing a blog post.

And I have revamped my site a little bit – you’ll understand why in a minute.

Today, while I was sitting in the theater waiting for Anna Karenina (which SUCKED by the way) to start, I was looking at Oscar nominees.  For the last couple of years I have tried to watch all the nominees for Best Picture, because I like the challenge, and I like movies.  I thought I successfully did this two years in a row, but I realized I missed seeing two of the nominees last year (Hugo and War Horse).  So I guess, technically, I've only ever done this once successfully, but I'm trying to make it a thing - so just cut me some slack.

This year, the top contenders seem to be:
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Argo

and other possibilities:
Life of Pi
Django Unchained
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Moonrise Kingdom
The Master

Of the top 5, I've only seen 2 at this point.
Of the top 10, I've only seen 3.

Yikes.  I have until February though - it can be done.

Anyway, back to the story I originally intended to tell, which I haven't even started telling yet.  Andrea and I were looking at the list of movies that have won Best Picture throughout the years, and I realized that there are TONS I haven't seen.  So, I'm going to switch my Netflix subscription from streaming for awhile (not because I'm too cheap to pay the 7.99 additional fee to add the discs, but because I'm not going to give Netflix the satisfaction of getting my extra money after what they did when they changed their plans) and watch the Best Picture winners I haven't seen.

And there are A LOT I haven't seen.

Which reminded me of the blog/movie Julie and Julia.

Except this will be "Oscar and Tonya: One girl's mission to watch a lot of Best Picture winners for no other reason than to say she saw them all"  Good title...(ha! a reference to an Oscar winner right out of the gates! amazing)  This would probably be much catchier if my name was Olive or Oscarina or something like that, but this isn't Hollywood, so it will have to do.

Here is a link to the Academy's web page for all the Best Picture winners in case you care:

Out of the 84 Best Picture Winners, I have seen a total of 29.  This leaves a total of 55 movies for me to watch (along with all my current nominees for this year and next.)  This could get expensive…I haven’t checked into how many of these are available through Netflix. 

The Best Picture winners I have seen so far are:
2011 – The Artist
2010 – The King’s Speech
2007 – No Country for Old Men
2006 – The Departed
2005 – Crash
2001 – A Beautiful Mind
2000 – Gladiator
1999 – American Beauty
1998 – Shakespeare in Love
1997 – Titanic
1995 – Braveheart
1994 – Forrest Gump
1993 – Schindler’s List
1991 – The Silence of the Lambs
1990 – Dances with Wolves
1989 – Driving Miss Daisy
1988 – Rain Main
1987 – The Last Emperor
1986 – Platoon
1984 – Amadeus
1980 – Ordinary People
1978 – The Deer Hunter
1965 – The Sound of Music
1961 – West Side Story
1957 – The Bridge on the River Kwai
1943 – Casablanca
1939 – Gone With the Wind
1935  - Mutiny on the Bounty
1931/1932 – Grand Hotel

Now, I also think I may have seen Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) and All Quiet on the Western Front (1929/30), but I can’t say it definitively, so I won’t count them. 

I don’t think I’ll go in any particular order, especially since if I save all the ones from the 20’s and 30’s for last, I’m likely to go broke if they aren’t on Netflix.  Actually, I take that back – they are pretty much all on there.  Bonus.

For some reason, Out of Africa (1985) and Annie Hall (1977) are jumping out at me as the ones I should get first.  So my next post will be about one of those.

I watch a lot of movies.  I figure having a little purpose for myself will make me feel like I’m getting something accomplished :)

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome, Pal! I'm down to watch a few with you once in a while so be sure to let me know when you need some company ;)

    ReplyDelete